Layher compared potential placements - Lahti region clearly number one!
At the end of 2019, Layher, a German manufacturer of scaffolding, established a subsidiary in Finland. Based on a careful comparison, Hollola, located next to the city of Lahti, was chosen as the company's domicile. From there, connections are good to all of Finland.
German Layher is the world's leading manufacturer of scaffolding and supplies its products e.g. construction, shipyard, power plant and bridge construction sites, as well as various large public events. The product range also includes weather protection required for modern construction.
Layher's products have become familiar to Finnish construction, industrial and event companies since the 1970s, as Layher's scaffolding has so far been sold to Finland through dealers. Since the beginning of 2020, sales have been handled by the Finnish subsidiary, Layher Oy, whose CEO is Marko Mölsä.
- Our scaffolding is familiar to our customers. With the Finnish subsidiary, we will be able to serve them faster and with higher quality than before, because in the future Finnish warehousing, distribution and planning will take place from Hollola instead of Germany, Mölsä says.
Labor from the Lahti region
According to Marko Mölsä, the business premises found 10 kilometers from Lahti, in Hollola's Kukonkoivu, fit Layher's needs excellently.
- In an area of more than two hectares, there is room to grow and grow the company's operations. Customers receive the products they order without delay, and thanks to the new VT12 Southern Ring Road of Lahti, scaffolding deliveries work to our customers from the south to the northernmost Finland: from pulp mills to nuclear power plant sites and construction companies to major sports and cultural events.
Mölsä’s goal for the near future is to recruit a dozen new employees for Layher.
- There is a need for e.g. office employees, warehouse and logistics side of the experts, design engineers and salespersons.
Mölsä believes that the recruitment of employees will go well.
- The Lahti region has educational institutions offering training in the field and skilled and trained workforce. On the other hand, our location in Hollola is also good from the accessibility point of view: we are easy to reach and come to work from all over Southern Finland.
Lahti region won the cost comparison
According to Marko Mölsä, the decision to locate in Hollola was the result of careful consideration and a cost comparison.
- Our German owner required clear and numerical justifications to support the decision. I presented them with a table comparing the plot and square prices of vacant premises in Hollola, Järvenpää, Mäntsälä and Vantaa, the accessibility of truck traffic and labor costs. We also assess the future prospects of the locality as well as the investments made and to be made in infrastructure development. Based on our overall assessment, the Lahti region and Hollola were clearly the best option, Mölsä states.
Based on our overall assessment, the Lahti region and Hollola were clearly the best option
Lahti Region Development LADEC Ltd helped Layher to settle in the Lahti region. Mölsä warmly thanks LADEC and Client Service Manager Marian Vainiomäki for their support and service.
- Marian Vainiomäki helped me to find vacant premises and obtain regional information. She provided me with more material and information than I could even hope for in the beginning. Thanks to Marian, my own time was saved to start a business, Mölsä says with satisfaction.
- Now that the company is located, our cooperation continues to be close. We do our best to help Layher start a business and advise the company on e.g. in applying for various investment subsidies, Vainiomäki says.
Text: Tmi Taru Schroderus | Images: Aatu Heikkonen, Inspiroiva Creative Oy
Year of establishment of the Group: 1945 I
Industry: Scaffolding industry
Turnover: $ 852.4M
Number of employees: More than 2000 employees worldwide
Head office: Gueglingen-Eibensbach, Germany
Subsidiaries: More than 40 countries
Video about https://youtu.be/CoV_4i0MQJQ
Lahti All Inclusive company placement service:
- The project was fast, it took a few months from Layher's first contact to the final location decision.
- From LADEC, there was one designated responsible person throughout the placement process.
- Client Services Manager Marian Vainiomäki compiled an extensive statistical and information package for Layher's CEO Marko Mölsä about the Lahti economic area, as well as e.g. prize per square meter of vacant premises.
- When the green light for Layher's location in the Lahti region was shown from Germany, Vainiomäki helped in the search for suitable premises. They were found in Hollola's Kukonkoivu area.
- Vainiomäki mapped local networks for the procurement of ancillary services, such as accounting firms and the TE Services (Employment and economic development services) and supported the start of the recruitment process.